Saturday, January 24, 2009

He's In Kuwait

I just got off the phone with Nick tonight. They made it into Kuwait yesterday but it was too late here in Hawaii for him to call (even though I slept with the phone next to my pillow...just in case). Their total flight time was about 25 hours from leaving Honolulu to arriving in Kuwait.
9 hours to Maine
6 hours to Germany
5 hours to Kuwait

The time difference between Hawaii and Kuwait is 13 hours. Nick is 13 hours ahead.
Time difference from Iowa: 9 hours, Nick is 9 hours ahead.

Nick said it's very cold at night. Down to the 40s. During the day it can get up to the 60s. Luckily he got a heads up from a few guys on advanced party and brought some warm clothes. The only mishap during the flight was a busted cinnamon flouride bottle....so a few of his shirts smell "cinnamon-y". I told him it could be worse.

They should find out later 'today' when they will get a flight into Al Asad. It was great to finally hear from him. He sounded great, well rested.

More updates to come...

Nick called and left a message on the phone before he left Honolulu before we got back home, so I played it today and Addison immediately walked right up to his voice and smiled, so I knew she recognized his voice. I'll have to keep that message as long as I can.

Trevor came up to our room this morning when he woke up and crawled into bed with me, looked around, and said "Where's Daddy?" I told him, "Daddy is in Iraq." He giggled and said, "Oh yeah..."

I know that Nick always wonders if the kids notice he is gone... I think that's a pretty good answer for him.

McKenzie has always been emotionally strong...(she sure didn't get that from me...I can be an emotional train wreck at times), but I can tell that she misses him. By the end of past deployments she always makes a comment like, "Ugh...when is he coming home already?!"

So here's to a safe and speedy deployment!

3 comments:

Ladners'Latest said...

I hear we were talking to our hubbies at the same time! It's always so good to hear from them. (Of course it made me miss him even more)

Oh yeah, and I slept with the phone by my pillow too!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update Kim.....of course the next few months we will all be waiting for a precious phone call from Nick...

Jim and Julie Turner said...

Glad to hear he's there safe and sound. Hugs to you guys at home too!!